Last summer I created a bucket list in an effort to make myself enjoy my summer more. It isn’t that I am about to kick the bucket or anything, but I often allow myself to get so caught up in the details of day-to-day life I don’t allow myself to enjoy life. It is easy for us to think, “Oh I will do that someday.” Well, I decided to change the way I think because if we don’t do it now “someday” may become “never”. I don’t want to look back on my life wishing I had done_______________________ (fill in the blank).
I heard about an 82-year-old woman who traveled cross-country in an 18-wheeler just because she always wanted to do it. While it took several years to organize and pull off, she still made it happen at an age when most of us would have thought it was not reasonable.
I have this picture on my bucket list board on pinterest (which you should follow!)
To celebrate her 103rd birthday this lady gets a tattoo
I love this picture, and it motivates me to live life to the fullest. I am not talking about being reckless. I am talking about being full of life. I look at people I love, and I see how life has kind of passed them by because they were too busy living day-to-day or by this imaginary set of rules that they think makes them happy, but on the flip side, I often hear them say “I wish…” So, what are you putting off? Is it a conversation with a friend you haven’t seen in years? Is it a trip that you have always wanted to take? Is it that book you’ve always wanted to write?
I am starting my summer bucket list a bit early this year, but that is ok right? Here it is…
1) Camp out (didn’t get to this one last summer) — I use to love camping, but as I have gotten older I have grown to love indoor plumbing; however, I want my children to experience the joy of sleeping outdoors. I think a backyard tent will be perfect.
2) Learn How To Make Ice Cream –yummy!! I love ice cream. My girls love ice cream. This summer I want to make homemade ice cream and sit out in the yard at dusk with my family and enjoy it! (I didn’t get to this one either but we did make snow cream a few times this year.)
3) Catch Fire Flies — I remember how much fun it was to run around in the big field in front of my Aunt Brenda and Uncle Buck’s house with my cousin Tonya catching fire flies. I want to do it again!!
4) Go To A Drive In Movie — It is just something you want to do in case they disappear forever.
5) Hang out with the coolest people I know my niece and nephew — I want to spend more time with those amazing kids. My Fa loves to be with them, and we spend so much time laughing together that I don’t want this summer to pass me by without seeing them at least once a week. I will record this with some great pictures. You know the kids grow up so fast!
6) Get out!! Sounds weak but what I mean is that I want to be out living and not sitting in my house. I want to take part in cultural events. I want to go swimming. I want to experience what my town has to offer. The cleaning can wait!
7) Exercise daily — I have ben making huge strides in my health and I want to continue to do that on a daily basis, but this summer I want to push myself even further and possibly lose another 20 lbs! I specifically want to be able to run a mile easily. Notice I said easily and not fast!
8) Put together a family cookbook — my grandmother use to tell me all the time, “Lawd Regina, you will never get you a man if you don’t put down those books and learn how to cook.” Well, I did get me a man, but I never learned how to cook! It is a standing joke with my family, but that is ok. I have a family full of amazing cooks and I want to preserve some of this in a cookbook even if I am not able to cook!
9) Learn how to sew — a few years back I told my mom that I wanted to learn how to sew. That Christmas she bought me a children’s sewing machine that has been in my closet since then. I did try to thread it once and well, that was a bust. This summer I will learn how to sew something very simple.
10) Grow something I can eat — I have had to learn to watch what I eat due to illness and I have been playing around with the idea of gardening or container gardening, but I haven’t taken that step yet. So, this summer, I will try to grow just one thing.
What is on your bucket list? Live life to the fullest.